The Hope Scholars treat their own educational opportunities as a privilege that they wish to share with others. Their mission is to provide both hope and tools to achieve rich lives to vulnerable populations held back by poverty and other inequities. They are committed to building better communities, with a special focus on providing equitable educational opportunities to the youth of York.
Hope Scholars are also part of a larger network of campus and community leaders called the Engaged Scholars—an honors community that brings together a wide range of students to take on real-world projects, to solve key community problems, and to enhance their own education through hands-on experiences.
Our Scholars share many attributes:
- An entrepreneurial spirit—the ability to get things done through creative thinking and innovation skills;
- A belief that we learn best by doing, not just through classroom learning;
- A belief in teamwork and collaboration;
- A commitment to the value of serving one’s community toward transformative change;
- Leadership skills and empathy to achieve that change; and
- An understanding of the positive value we achieve in our personal lives and careers when we serve others.