Engaging in research and project-based learning are high impact educational practices that increase student learning and success both during and after college. These experiences give students opportunities to gain a deeper knowledge of research techniques and processes, apply classroom learning in real-world contexts, explore academic literature, form meaningful relationships with faculty members, engage with community partners, and prepare for graduate school and successful careers.
At York College of Pennsylvania, engaging in research and project-based learning takes many forms:
- Basic Research is a systematic investigation designed to advance fundamental knowledge about the world.
- Applied Research is a systematic investigation designed to solve a specific and practical problem of the modern world.
- Action Research is a disciplined process of inquiry conducted by and for those taking the action.
- Process Research identifies and explores opportunities for optimization of procedures, protocols, and design strategies.
- Community-Based Research is a collaboration between community groups and researchers to create new knowledge about practical community issues in order to bring about change.
The annual York College of Pennsylvania Showcase provides students from all disciplines with the opportunity to display their projects and engage in stimulating discussions about the research process. In 2020, to comply with social distancing guidelines due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we held a virtual showcase.
This event celebrates the research and creative work of our students in the spirit of the York College of Pennsylvania’s mission to provide a high-quality, private education that emphasizes personal development, close faculty/student mentoring relationships, and real-world experiences. We partner with our community for the benefit of both our students and the broader region.
We wish to thank our student researchers for displaying their work, as well as their faculty mentors and Provost Laura Niesen de Abruña for supporting the many undergraduate research opportunities at York College of Pennsylvania.
York College of Pennsylvania is a proud member of the Council on Undergraduate Research.
Details about the 2021 Scholarly Showcase to be announced soon.