York College of Pennsylvania is a residential college. As such, all students are required to live on campus, unless they are enrolled as an approved commuting student, receive approval from the Office of Residence Life to live off campus, or are 23 years of age or older prior to the semester term for which they are enrolling. This requirement applies to all transfer and readmitted students as well. All students, including the above mentioned groups, must apply to live off-campus and must receive approval from the Office of Residence Life.
Housing contracts are for the full academic year, including for those students that elect to become part-time. A full copy of the housing policy and residency requirement may be found online.
a. December graduates requesting housing for one semester are not guaranteed, and applications will be reviewed based on available space.
b. Students may apply to live off-campus, with the authorization of the Office of Residence Life, in a dwelling unit which is not the domicile of a parent/guardian if:
- they fill out and complete an off-campus application (applications will be reviewed by credits earned, with priority given to those who have earned the most)
- they are in good academic standing (eligible to be full-time without restriction or probation)
- they are in good discipline standing (student conduct records will be reviewed)
- the dwelling unit they plan to live in must be licensed by the City of York or relevant municipality
- they complete an online course (free of charge) regarding off-campus housing policies and expectations
- they confirm in writing their understanding that York College of Pennsylvania does not warrant the suitability or safety of the off-campus dwelling unit they plan to occupy and that the student is responsible to ascertain that the unit is suitable, safe, and in compliance with applicable laws
c. Not all students that apply will receive permission to live off-campus. We discourage students from signing leases until they have been granted permission to reside off-campus. Please see the Off-Campus Housing section in the Student Handbook for full procedures.
d. Commuting - Campus residential students or prospective students wishing to commute from the domicile of their parent/guardian must request to do so through the application process, which is due by March 13 of the current academic year. Requesting to live with a family member other than the parent/guardian will not be approved. The domicile of the parent/guardian must be within a 35-mile radius of York College of Pennsylvania. The parent's or guardian's address listed on the original application for admission to York College of Pennsylvania will be considered the primary residence. Owning or purchasing a secondary property within the 35-mile radius of York College of Pennsylvania does not qualify a student for commuter status.
e. Students may apply for an exemption from the residency requirement if the extenuating circumstances are deemed eligible for appeal. Please contact the Office of Residence Life for more information.
f. Violations of the Housing Policy (on and off campus) shall be adjudicated through the College Student Conduct process. We encourage all students to be aware of their rights and responsibilities regarding occupancy and safety. These ordinances vary according to the municipality in which the home/apartment is located. Check with the local borough or township office for ordinances that apply to that locality.
York College Housing Contract
This contract is for the academic year, or summer sessions, whichever is applicable, or any prorated portion thereof. This contract does not provide housing during recess periods. At the end of the academic year, each student must check out, return room key(s), and remove all belongings from the room.